11 Year Old boy dies from allergic reaction

An 11-year-old boy died after suffering a suspected allergic reaction to nuts during a Father's Day takeaway meal, it was revealed today.
Ethan Thomas was enjoying a curry with his police officer father Rod and mother Judith when he collapsed at the family home in Loughborough, Leicestershire.
The youngster was given an injection of adrenaline using the epiPen he carried as an emergency treatment for anaphylaxis - an extreme allergic reaction - and rushed to hospital.
But despite the best efforts of doctors, Ethan lost his fight for life.
Now his parents, who had been aware their son had a nut allergy since he was six, are speaking out about the tragedy in order to raise awareness of anaphylaxis.


Rod and Judith, a police support worker, told how they ordered Ethan’s favourite takeaway curry - a dish they had ordered many times before from the same restaurant - on Father's Day last June.
However, Ethan, who has a twin brother, Tri, fell ill within minutes of taking a few mouthfuls.
His mum administered the epiPen injection, and paramedics managed to revive him, but it was not enough to save Ethan.
Rod, 42, a detective constable with Leicestershire Police, said: 'I do quite a lot of the shopping and always checked all the labels for signs of food containing nuts or traces of nuts.
'We were warned that if Ethan came into contact with just a small amount of nuts, it could kill him.
'We always checked in restaurants, particularly abroad, whether the food contained any nuts.
'The meal we had on Father’s Day was his favourite. We’d had it many times before.
'We’re not blaming anyone for what happened, we just want to make people more aware.
'If children have epiPens, make sure they always carry them. It didn’t help Ethan, but they do save lives, so carry it always.'

Judith, 41, a support worker with Leicestershire Police, said: 'At the moment, we’re going from day to day.
'Tri is back at school and we’re back at work. We're trying to keep up a normal routine.
'Sundays are hard - it was the day Ethan got his biggest dinner and he loved his food. He wanted to be a chef like his uncle.
'He had a hilarious sense of humour. People loved him, he was so funny.
Enlarge  
An EpiPen, used to administer a potentially life-saving shot when someone is hit by anaphylaxis
She added: 'We urge parents not to take chances. If they think their child may be allergic to nuts, get it checked.
'If you’re eating in a restaurant, be persistent. Make them tell you what's in it, mark it down when they take the order and ask them to make sure knives which may have been used with nut products are cleaned.'
Ethan had just returned from his first school trip away without Tri who, when they were together, made sure his twin brother did not eat anything which could harm him.

Bookmark and Share


















Allergy Aware © 2009 - 2012 | Privacy Policy Click to Verify | Trusted Business

Mobile Privacy Certification | We Use CookiesCloudTrust | Allergy Aware | Terms and Conditions Certification | Corporate Data Certification | Privacy CertificationGreen Company

Part of the International Charter